New print material and work on my website


I’ve collected the second lot of prints from Chris at ThreeD Pro today – brilliant job once again! One of the new materials was unsuccessful in achieving the detail I was after, but the other was perfect!  I think I’ve found a winner!

The material is Madesolid Vorex tough resin.  It comes in a variety of colours, but for my purposes that doesn’t matter at all.  The golden yellow/amber colour looks really nice though and has a bonus property I hadn’t expected.  When you hold it up to the light, all of the small surface details become emphasised and any surface imperfections become very evident , so cleaning up the material was a lot easier than the previous black resin version.  I still missed a few little bits that i noticed after painting, but this still isn’t my final version anyway so I’m not that fussed about getting them yet.

The 3D print in Madesolid Vorex tough resin - as it arrived complete with all support material

The 3D print in Madesolid Vorex tough resin – as it arrived complete with all support material

Also, I found that this material is quite brittle but also has a little bit of flex.  I know that sounds contradictory, but hear me out.  Other high detailed resins I’ve cleaned up in the past can be really difficult to remove support material from without breaking the actual component.  Clip the support at the tip of the sword and it sends a shock down the sword and the hand breaks off at the wrist!  this material doesn’t do that.  As I clipped the support material of the sword, the sword flexed just enough to allow the clippers to pass through.  When I tried to clip the wider parts of the supports at the base, a little pressure caused them to break off where i clipped which meant I had better visibility of the tip of the support to be able to remove it cleanly.

As I’ve said before, this model is just a test to get the right material, and hasn’t been optimised for printing so the supports are excessive and in places I really wouldn’t want them to be normally, but removing them cleanly only took me about 20 minutes.

Front of the model after support removal

Front of the model after support removal

Then I took it to the bathroom, scrubbed it with an old toothbrush and soap just to clean up the surface, and spotted a few more support tips I’d missed.  Cleaned up the remainder, took it to my man-cave for a light airbrushing and a quick zenithal highlight just to help show off the detail.

Front of the model after airbrushing to highlight details

Front of the model after airbrushing to highlight details

and the back!

and the back!

Its hard to see in the last picture, but there are a few support tips up on the shoulder of his sword arm, but otherwise he’s cleaned up lovely.

I’ll now be making the tweaks to the model I discussed in my last post and getting it printed again ready for moulding and casting!

as far as moulding and casting go, I know this will cast nice in resin, but the mould making process is a repeated nuisance having to use RTV silicone.  I have decided to get my good friend Oli Piotrowski over at Tablewarfare who I’ve worked with a lot in the past (and present for that matter!) to get them into a vulcaniser for me and give it a trial mould and cast.  Tablewarfare sells mould space in a shared mould, so I dont have to go through the expense of purchasing a whole mould to see if they work!  bargain!  Cheers Oli!

Oli is also a web developer and is building my web page for me.  A Magento commerce webstore for when I eventually get some models made to sell, and an integrated hosted wordpress site, so eventually I’ll migrate this blog onto that site.  It’ll still look the same, just hosted on my own domain – www.ltminis.com.

Thats it for now.  I hope these posts are informative and help others to learn about the process I’m going through.  If you’re enjoying this please follow by blog, and you can also head to my facebook page and give me a like! 🙂

Thanks for reading!

Leave a comment